MOSQUITO SEASON IS HERE! TIPS FOR PREVENTION!!
Our family loves spending time outdoors. Unfortunately, warmer temperatures and more time spent outdoors means exposure to one of the world’s deadliest animals, the mosquito! Diseases carried by mosquitoes and transmitted to humans kill an average of 725,000 to as many as 1 million people worldwide annually. West Nile, Encephalitis, Zika, Malaria, and Chikungunya are some of the most common diseases mosquitoes are responsible for in humans. Mosquitoes don’t spare our pets either with heartworm disease being among the most serious.
What can we do? Think prevention first. Mosquitoes have the ability to breed in just the cap of a water or coke bottle. Removing all sources of water that could become breeding sites for mosquitoes is essential. These include standing water in: gutters, leaky pipes, trash cans, birdbaths, grill cover, flowerpots, buckets, cups, baby pools, and even pools of stagnant water in lawns or flowerbeds.
Tips for prevention of mosquito bites outdoors, include:
- Use a mosquito repellent spray or lotion with at least 20% DEET. DEET has been shown to be one of the most effective mosquito repellents.
- Avoidance: Early morning and evening times are when mosquitoes are most active.
- Clothing: This is a tough one in the South, but long pants and long sleeve shirts will reduce your exposure to mosquito bites.
- Citronella and other organic chemicals may provide some protection against mosquitoes
- Mosquito Misting Systems have been shown to reduce mosquito populations
- Mosquito services provided by a licensed pest control company. This may include a mistblower application of insecticide to the areas around your home and lawn, especially the underside of leaves of trees and bushes(a common resting site for mosquitoes). The service may also include the application of larvicides to potential breeding sites as well as IGRs, or Insect Growth Regulators, which disrupt mosquitoes ability to reproduce.
For more information on professional mosquito service for both residential and commercial customers, please visit www.synergy2ms.com.