A wasp is not your ordinary pest. Not only can these insects be a nuisance, but wasps can cause a great deal of harm when they sting you. A wasp sting is not your average insect sting; it can be described as a painful punishment.
These pests are not always aggressive; typically, they only sting you when they feel that you are threatening them. Essentially, if you stay out of their way, they are going to stay out of yours. However, this does not mean you want their nests located around your home.
Do you need to get rid of wasp nests around your Mississippi home to avoid future stings? Keep reading!
Common FAQ’s About Wasps and Wasp Stings
1.What are the types of wasp nests?
The Types of Wasps that Sting
There are approximately 20,000 types of wasp species that could infest your home. Luckily, not all of these wasps sting. The most common types of wasps you may find in your Mississippi home that you need to be careful of include:
- Bald-faced hornet
- Yellow jacket
- Paper wasp
- Cicada killer wasp
These black and white wasps are approximately three-quarters of an inch long and are known for being particularly aggressive when it comes to protecting their nests. Hence, the last thing you want is one of their nests on their property. You can identify these nests by their distinctive round papery features that hang from trees.
Bald-faced hornets are often confused with European hornets; however, they are two different species.
A yellow jacket wasp can be identified by its’ short legs and black-and-yellow-striped abdomen. They are one of the most dangerous and aggressive types of wasps as they sting people relatively often.
You may typically find their nests in your home around spring and late summer. Unfortunately, moving out of Mississippi is not going to resolve the issue as they are found across the entire globe.
If you live in the United States, you typically find paper wasps flying around various structures. You can identify these creatures by their hanging long legs and black to reddish-brown bodies.
One usually finds these wasp nests around fall, summer, and spring. Paper wasps are sometimes confused for yellow jackets as some of them have yellow rings around their abdomens.
Cicada Killer Wasp
Cicada killer wasps are found throughout the United States and are one of the largest species of wasps in America. If you believe you have one of their nests on your property, you can identify the wasps by the whitish markings on their black abdomens.
They do not sting humans often, but they do when they feel threatened.
How Do You Get Rid of Wasps?
The best way to solve your wasp problem is to call a professional pest control company that knows how to use efficient removal methods. It is essential to call experts regarding wasps as they are particularly dangerous insects.
Wasp exterminators are going to inspect your property and develop a complete control plan based on the examination. Pest control companies have all the necessary tools and equipment to deal with the situation safely.
The wasp control program consists of various steps:
- Habitat control
- Perimeter control
An expert can recommend suitable modifications to your Mississippi home to help in reducing the number of suitable locations for wasps to build their nests.
You need to establish specific control measures that make it challenging for these creatures to get inside or build nests inside your Mississippi home.
An efficient tip in getting rid of wasps is to limit their sources of food available on your property, which you can do by cleaning your outdoor area, ensuring that you do not have spilled food, drinks, or garbage lying around your home.
Why Should You Call a Jackson MS Pest Control Company To Get Rid Of Wasps?
You should contact a Mississippi pest control company to assist you with your wasp problem because:
- They can provide you with all the answers to pest problems and give you helpful recommendations about how you can use wasp control methods and traps efficiently.
- Experts can identify the places on your property where wasps are most likely to build their nests.
- A professional has the necessary experience and knowledge with various wasp species. Therefore, they can identify whether your wasps are aggressive or not harmful and what the most effective treatment method is going to be.
- Pest control technicians can offer you tips on how to manage your waste systems so that they do not attract wasps.
- They possess the required skills, equipment, and products to remove the wasps and their nests safely, which is essential as you do want to put your family members or pets at risk of getting stung.
What Should You Do If You Get Stung by a Wasp?
Some wasp stings are more severe than others. When do you know whether you need medical attention or not? Are you allergic to wasps? Do not underestimate these creatures; approximately 50 to 100 people die annually from bee and wasp stings.
Seek medical advice if:
- You are allergic to wasps or are unaware whether you are allergic.
- Your lips, mouth, or tongue start to swell.
- There is a rapid increase in your heartbeat.
- You experience vomiting.
- The sting results in stomach pain.
Basic Wasp Sting Treatment
Wasps do not lose their stingers; hence, you do not have to worry about removing this. Basic wasp sting care includes:
- Washing the stung area with soap and water – Make sure that you keep this area clean until it heals as you do not want to deal with a skin infection.
- Apply cold compresses to the sting to relieve the swelling and pain – Place a wrapped cold pack on the area for 10 minutes. Repeat this process and try to keep the stung part of your body elevated.
- Take any prescribed medication if you need to – If you have a history of insect stings and have been prescribed medication, ensure that you take it immediately after the sting.
- Use a mild pain reliever if need be – Take an over-the-counter pill if you need to reduce the pain of the sting.
Take Control of Your Mississippi Home Again
Contact your local Mississippi pest control company to help you remove the wasps from your home. It is time to live comfortably in your home without the fear of getting stung by a pesky wasp!
Feel free to read more about us and decide if Synergy² is the right company for you. We have over 300 Five-Star Google reviews for pest control service in the Jackson metro area (Jackson/Madison/Brandon/Ridgeland). Check out our newest location reviews for pest control service in Jackson, MS here at Synergy² Jackson Pest Control!