https://www.epa.gov/bedbWhether on vacation or regular business travel, there is always a risk of bringing bedbugs back to your home. Bedbug infestations are not only difficult to eradicate but also extremely expensive. The following are a few travel tips I use during my weekly overnights for business:
1. Inspection: Inspecting your hotel room is the first step in identifying potential bedbug infestations. Bedbugs typically hide during the day in box springs, the seams/edges of mattresses, carpet, baseboards, furniture, and pictures hanging on the wall.
2. Infestation: Look for signs of an infestation. While you may not find live bedbugs, the following are signs of an active infestation:
- Bedbug skins/shells/exoskeltons
- Tiny blood spots on the mattress, walls, or ceiling
- Fecal spots or stains on the mattress or bedding
3. Luggage: Keep all luggage elevated and off of the floor. The hotel’s luggage rack is a good option(after carefully inspecting the rack)
4. Clothing: Keep clothing in your luggage or hanging in the hotel closet. Leaving clothing on the floor or on the bed makes it easy for bedbugs to hitch a ride home with you!
5. Heat: An excellent preventative practice is to place all clothing in your dryer upon returning home. Bedbugs cannot survive in high heat environments. 15 minutes in a dryer on a high heat setting is recommended.
Good luck and safe travels! And remember, don’t let the bedbugs bite!
Please visit our other blog posts on bedbugs and bedbug management:
If you think you may have bedbugs in your home or business, please contact us to get rid of them quickly and effectively. For more information, the following links are recommended:
Also, check out this awesome Tips Bulletin from Hometipsworld on bedbug management!
If you need pest control services for your home or business please visit our site at https://synergy2ms.com. Feel free to read more about us and decide if Synergy² is the right company for you. We have over 200 Five-Star Google reviews for pest control service in the Jackson metro area (Jackson/Madison/Brandon/Ridgeland). Check out our newest location reviews for pest control service in Jackson, MS here!