Dust mites are microscopic parasitic insects. Resembling little red blood cells with a tail, they live in the nasal passages and digestive tracts of humans and mammals. About 75% to 80% of households have a dust mite problem. Dust mite exposure is associated with asthma,ozone poisoning, allergic dermatitis, allergies and eczema.
Dust mites come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Our ability to harm them is largely dependent on two factors: the quantity of dust blowing around and the speed of the breeze. For instance, blowing from the back of the house toward an external wall will blow the dust mites away from the wall and cause it to fall onto the floor. If you live next to a window and look out on the street, you can see a plume of dust blow through the air.
Household Dust, Dust Mites, and Your Health
Dust mites are tiny, about the size of a grain of rice, but they can survive for weeks without food. If you are exposed to constant accumulations of dust, you could have an allergic reaction, which can cause wheezing, runny nose, and swelling of the mouth and throat. This is called “Dust Deficiency Dermatitis” (fed dermatitis). The worst of dust mite infestations are in pillows and mattresses, stuffed animals and sheets, drapery, carpets and stuffed toys. These places are visited by many people and by extension dust mites.
Dust Mite Allergies
When contemplating dust mite allergy you should know that the female mites tunnel into homes through cracks in the furniture and bedding. These often occur next to the cabinets and behind stairs. The larger female will lay her eggs on the floor or bedding and stay close to the walls to nurse their young. The same type of mite can infest a pillow case. The mites can be both microscopic and large. The microscopic mites are often found on shirts and bedding, but they are easier to live with than the large ones. Women who have wide hips often are infested along with their spouses.
One more thing to consider when following this line of questioning is the possibility of what a mold allergy may look like. Many of the small mites attach themselves to the skin, and many of these small mites are dead when found. Can you tell what kind of mold it is by the way it sleeps? The microscopic mites can cause severe allergy reactions and should be live , dead or alive.
The most common places to be infested are stuffed toys such as bean bags, nightstanders, and cushion covers. stuffed dog toys, especially those purchased from pet stores, bedding piles, and furniture made from particle board or pressed wood, are common sources. Particles from rafter dust, computer keyboards, electric cords, and other furniture abrasives can also accumulate on bedding and furniture. Mold is not the only mite that thrives in this environment. Bed bugs and dust mites can also infest your home.
How to Keep Yourself and Your Family Safe from Mold, Mildew and Dust Mite Exposure
Keep rooms and beds damp and dry. Look to correct mildew and mold in bathrooms, showers, toilets, tubs and basements by washing bedding and furniture and wiping down surfaces. This will prevent dust mites from laying eggs on the bedding and clothes you sleep on.
Clean and wash bedding frequently. It is best to vacuum thoroughly inside the home. A vacuum with fine teeth may be necessary to get out particles that can’t be removed by hand.
Be Sure and Get Professional Help: If you or anyone in your home develops allergies to mold, it’s a good idea to ask for assistance from a professional who can evaluate your home and help you implement a plan to eliminate or decrease the number of molds that are harmful to you. The professional can assess your home and give you suggestions on how to keep your home mold free.
Feel free to read more about us and decide if Synergy² is the right company for you. We have over 270 Five-Star Google reviews for pest control service in the Jackson metro area (Jackson/Madison/Brandon/Ridgeland). Check out our newest location reviews for pest control service in Jackson, MS here at Synergy² Jackson Pest Control!