Have you recently come are across some un-welcomed rodents on your property? Do you want to live in a pest-free environment? Are you looking for advice and information on the best ways to trap mice and rats? If you answered yes to any of these questions, it is recommended you continue reading this pest control article. There are numerous ways to trap mice and rats and eliminate the rodent issue at your residence. This article is going to guide you on the best baits and traps you can use to put an end to your rodent issue.
If you have spotted a rat or mouse on your property, it is a good time to invest in a few traps and bait. Having private space invaded by an unwanted rodent guest is not a good experience. Rats and mice are not just an inconvenience, but they also have a tendency to be destructive.
Rodents can intrude even the cleanest and most well-built houses, leaving behind a trail of diseases and property damage. For reasons such as these, you need to exterminate and get rid of your rodent issue fast. A rodent problem is not something to play around with, and you should work swiftly to get rid of them in the quickest and most efficient way possible. Rats and mice are associated with illness and infestations. Traps and bait are a simple and effective way to dispose of your rodent issue, and you should use them as soon as you spot the rodents. You are going to need the correct rat and mouse trap bait. You should invest in the best rodent trap brand, too, one that has been known for its effectiveness in getting rid of rodents.
Addressing Using Poison and How Rodents Get in Your Home: What to Do and Not to Do
Before we address the best ways to trap rats and mice, let us look at the use of poisoning the rodents and how they got into your home in the first place. To many homeowners, poisoning rats and mice seems like the ideal option; however, we can assure you that it is not.
A rodent’s rotting body gives off an overwhelming and potent odor. It is also a source of food for maggots and rodents. In the case of rats, they have greater bodies than mice, and the smell they release when decomposing can cause you and other family members to get ill. Just imagine finding out you have a dead rodent in your ceiling, and you are not able to access it. Moreover, poisoned bait is highly dangerous and can kill pets and small children. Poison is not something to take for granted. Therefore, it is best to make use of effective rat and mouse traps.
Wondering how the rodents came into your property? Rats and mice are communal creatures and often are members of large families. It is important to note that they breed quickly. In some cases, even killing the single rodent, you spot does not resolve the issue as it is an infection issue—prevention before extermination. Rodents prefer to keep their distance from humans and choose to make their homes in dark sewers. If you notice a rat or mouse in your home, there is probably a reason and source that is bringing them there in the first place – let us first try and resolve this particular issue. Here are some of the reasons rats and mice may be in your home:
- Your home may be located in close proximity to abandoned buildings, which are a perfect environment for rodents.
- There are waste materials that could be serving as a source of food.
- The drains below your home are flooding.
By finding the locations and routes the rodents are using to access your homes, such as damaged air bricks and cracked pipes, and sealing these routes off, you can keep the rodents and mice out and prevent the infestation.
The Different Types of Mouse Traps
Luckily for you, there are several types of rat and mouse traps available. It all depends on how you choose to get rid of your rodent issue. Here is a list of some effective methods and traps to get rid of rats and mice:
- Mouse and Rat Snap Traps – These are the most popular rat traps. When using this method, getting rid of rodents has never been simpler. Snap Traps are available in two various options. The first option is the classic wooden snap trap which has a spring-loaded option that snaps down on the rodent and kills the creature instantly. Another factor to consider is a plastic trap with a set of powerful jaws that snap down on the rodent and instantly kill it.
- Mouse and Rat Live Traps – These traps are a human method for trapping the rodent. They do not kill the rodent or mouse and actually trap it in the trap. Once the rodent or mouse sets off the trap and removes the bait, it is captured. You can then dispose of the rat however you see fit.
- Mouse and Rat Glue Traps or Boards – These traps are similar to glue traps as they instantly capture the rodent but do not kill it in an instant. Glue traps are made of plastic or wooden boards and are coated with a thick layer of sticky glue. These are supposed to be left in areas where the rodents frequently are, such as basements, attics, and pantries. When the rat or mouse steps on the glue, they are immediately captured and stuck. Once the glue trap is used, you are going to have to dispose of it as it only has a once-off usage.
The Bottom Line on How to Get Rid of Rats and Mice in Your Home
Investing in rat and mice traps such as a live trap, glue trap, or snap trap are excellent and effective methods to getting rid of your rodent issue. However, if all your efforts do not bear any fruit and the community or colony of rodents in your home is too big for you to deal, you might want to consider calling in a professional rat exterminator to assist you in your rodent issue.about us and decide if Synergy² is the right company for you. We have over 270 Five-Star Google reviews for pest control service in the Jackson metro area (Jackson/Madison/Brandon/Ridgeland). Check out our newest location reviews for pest control service in Jackson, MS here at Synergy² Jackson Pest Control!